Friday, June 20, 2008

Posting for dollars...

Actually the title of this post should be "posting to save $" since I made myself write this instead of continuing to surf Amazon. com. I have more than enough books to read, but I always find more that intrigues me. Not good!

I helped man the "Knit in Public" booth at a show today and I must toot my horn that I went there, stayed for 5 hours and just knitted on a project I brought with me. I did a little looking at a beadshop booth, but decided I probably have or can get the same beads cheaper. Somewhere in the garage is multiple strands of seed beads, just waiting to be used. So I had to give myself a pat for not buying ANYTHING.

That said, hubby and I did spring almost $30 for pizza out when we really could have made it at home for 1/4 the cost. Two steps forward, one step back. I need to make sure I keep some frozen pizza dough in the fridge with a couple pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese so I can get pizza made quickly. I had a block of mozzarella in the freezer, but contemplated the fact that it would take a little while to thaw, so from now on it gets shredded before we put it away.

Friday night, hubby wanted to run into Wal-Mart to pick up 2 things. Since I can't "just pick up 2 things" in that store, I opted to stay in the car and not get tempted. It actually worked well. I keep a good book in the car so I got to read further into the book and didn't spend any money.

Little steps, but progress anyway. I think by the end of the month I will have an easier time of sticking to the Compact. I have been pretty creative on finding what we need and really asking hard questions on whether something is a want or a need. If it is a want, not a need, I am working on not buying. I won't say I've been perfect, but I am working on it and being very conscious of the cash flow going out. It is quite a change for me, I must say. Usually if I see something I like, I just buy it. Now I try to find it used, or not get it at all. Again, I'm not perfect at it all the time, but I am working in that direction.

Now I just have to figure out a way to cut the auto gas bill.

I'd love to take the bus into Wichita, except there is no bus that runs into our town. There isn't even a place to park and ride like there is in Atlanta. I would love it if Wichita had a bus/train system like Atlanta. I know Atlanta is a bigger city, but they do have a good bus/train system and I felt completely safe using it. When I am visited my friend in Atlanta, we took the train from the park and ride terminal and the bus from there. It was surprisingly easy and well thought out. Maybe Wichita will work towards that.

It's all good.

No comments: