Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 1--no new yarn...

That doesn't sound like a huge deal, but since I am at the yarn shop helping out twice a week, it is. I handle every type of yarn we stock and most times I end up taking home at least one (usually 2 or more) skeins or a new tool EVERY TIME I AM THERE!

That is really not good!

So today, I decided to make sure I focused on the fact I am trying to finish a set of Norwegian mittens for a class...it was REALLY hard, but I am proud of myself for sticking with it. No yarn or tools adopted today...I wound a dozen skeins of this recycled cotton we have in the shop and was soooo tempted--but I didn't buy any. I reminded myself I have 5 balls of cotton for dishcloths and 2 really large cones of the same cotton in my stash closet. Then I reminded myself I need to work through through my stash---I have quite a bit of yarn that needs to be made into projects.

I found another good budgeting/consumerism reduction site: http://smallnotebook.org/
Check it out. I'm not sure I can make $250 last our family as long as their 2 adult /1 toddler family did, but the ideas are very realistic and I will adapt them to our family but possibly raising the monthly budgeted amount. I'll look this over and work it out this coming weekend. Since tomorrow is the beginning of the month, this is a good time to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the link, and I'm glad that you will change it up to suit your family. I know it's hard to pass up yarn, but there will be more waiting for you when you finish up your stash. So good job on your first day!