Monday, July 14, 2008

Raking in the goodies...

Today was a really good day for treasures. I needed a table with a straight edge to attach my yarn ball winder and yarn swift since all the surfaces in my house, as I discovered, have decorative edges and aren't suitable for attaching things....

Saturday, hubby and I went to the hardware store and I had all the parts needed to build a table for my swift and yarn winder. Hubby pointed out we had $60 worth of stuff in the cart, then it dawned on me that I hadn't even looked at any thrift shops. I had THOUGHT about looking, but had not actually looked. So while one of my sons and I were out running errands today, I stopped at a thrift shop and found THE perfect table. For $4 !!! Oh Yeah! Needless to say, it came home with me. I also found 2 really neat oil paintings for $4 each, so they came home with me also. They will be hung in the guest bathroom. The next thing I'm looking for is a baby gate so we can keep the dogs out of the laundry room. I will continue to look in thrift stores since I am trying not to buy new or pay retail prices.

When I got home, there was a message on my answering machine from a shop here in town that my husband I visited Saturday. They were having a customer appreciation party and there were some really neat grand prizes. The message on the machine said I won one of the grand prizes--a gift basket of natural skincare products. Good stuff! I usually do not win in drawings, so it took me a minute or 3 to remember what I had entered.

I had planned on running errands again once hubby came home, but decided to wait and bundle all the errands on Friday when I will be in that part of town. I am still trying to conserve and limit the gas we are burning. Actually I am trying to save money on utilities in general. Yesterday I had turned off the air conditioner and it was 84 degrees in the house. However with the windows open, it didn't feel that way to me--we were getting a pretty good cross breeze. I am usually the one who gets hot and insists the a/c get turned on, but this time hubby did it. HMMM.

I did talk to our contractor to secure a date in August to get our deck rebuilt. I am looking forward to being able to sit on the deck this Fall. Hubby and I wandered around the front and side yard to discuss some changes I want to make to the front and sides of the house. A lot of it is cosmetic, but one entails extending the fence along the side of the house to give us a little more space in the backyard. We have a 20 foot square area beside the house that is not being used--wasted space. I want to extend the fence so we can use that space. I am going to measure this week so we can project the costs. I am finally getting around to making changes to this house in order to make it ours. We moved in last year and really haven't done anything to it. I am rededicating myself to getting the inside and outside of the house in order and making it a haven for my family. This Friday I am picking up some decorative bricks and mulch to build decorative areas around some of the trees and rose bushes in the backyard. These things will cost money and require I buy new, but I think the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks. At some point I am going to build a water garden in the backyard. I love water gardens and will put what I learned in the water garden class to the test.

Well I need to go change out clothes in the washer--Good coffee and great friends to you and yours.

No comments: