Saturday, May 12, 2007

$3.19 a Gallon---WTF?!!!!!

Gas hit $3.19 a gallon this morning in our town. Good Grief! Talk about me having to make plans to conserve gas! I have a mini van that gets OK gas mileage, but I still hate the thought of burning money in a gas tank. I have already told the boys that instead of running down the street to the video store in our car, we will be using our bikes and I will be bundling any errands and making really hard choices on whether trips are necessary.

For example, I was going to run to Michael's craft store to use my 40% off coupon on a quilting book I adore, but found a used book on Amazon. Even with shipping, it still costs less than having to run to Wichita, even with a 40% coupon. There will probably be lots of things we end up buying online instead of making special trips for them.....I think a lot of people are going to have to make hard choices on how they spend their money now that gas is so expensive! If we had public transportation from Haysville to downtown, I would seriously consider taking the bus. Instead I will have to find creative ways to buy items I want. I have a feeling this gas situation is going to really take a bite out of retailer's bottom line. I already made a choice today to spend 17.00 (shipping included) at Amazon for a book as opposed to driving 15 miles to "save" 40% off a 25.00 book at a local merchant (not to mention it would have been 15 miles back to my house.). The gas would have eaten up any savings from the coupon! If I had other errands in that area, I would have used the coupon and went there, but I didn't.

I see lots of home activites in our future...

My oldest is planning to move to Iowa to live with his girlfriend. I think parenting gets harder as they get older and ready to fly the nest. Hubby and I have emphasised he REALLY needs to complete his education---luckily the University of Iowa is up there, so hopefully he doesn't get sidetracked. I haven't met his girlfriend yet, I am hoping she is nice. Iowa is an awfully long way to have to drive to pick a kid up.....

I am really starting to get excited about moving. It will be so nice to have all that space! Several times today I felt the urge to get out my watercolors and paint or sew another block of the paper pieced quilt I started, but there is simply no room to spread my stuff out. I will pull out my featherweight tonight and pinprick the pattern pages, but as far as cutting and piecing the fabric, that will have to wait. I am excited about having space to quilt and spread out my various creative endeavors....

No comments: