Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hump Day blues

And a good morning to you!
I am having serious issues waking up this morning. Oldest son was out with friends last night and when I woke up at 4 am, he was not home. This left me concerned so I called. Yep, he's 20 and I'm still one of those moms....however, it would have been nice of him to tell me not to expect him until morning so I didn't worry.....What did parents do before cell phones?! So, I am dragging this morning wanting to sleep in. Even though I have at least an hour before I even have to leave, if I lay down, I will not wake up in time.....damn! Although even when I am dragging and wanting to sleep in, I still love being at my job. I starting thinking last night that I have been there two years already and I still completely love it. Actually at one meeting we were going around the room telling how long we had been there and I honestly couldn't remember. Luckily the office manager knew. I like it there so much, it never occurred to me to count the days/months....

Before you read this, the disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice--simply my observations.....

Thought for the day: If you are going to court, do not go ProSe.
Otherwise stated: Everyone benefits from advice of counsel!
Or: A person that acts as their own attorney has a fool for a client.

I fill in sometimes at the city occasionally when our victim's advocate is gone, and I see a small portion of defendants going ProSe. I just have to shake my head. Even though everyone has the right to represent themselves, there is that slight fact that they are going up against the city prosecutor, who unlike them, has a lot of experience and a law degree to boot. I haven't seen it turn out too well in most cases.
Oh yeah, and just because you are representing yourself, don't make snide comments towards the prosecutor. It will not be good. It's kind of like teasing a tiger-he/she may look like they are relaxing but you stand a really good chance of getting mauled! Other attorneys may do it, but you are not an attorney.
I really like filling in over there-- It is interesting to watch trials. I have quite a few hours of law classes under my belt with my paralegal degree so it is interesting to me to see the process in action and the end result. Actually my take on any legal action is always get an attorney if you are having to appear in court. It may be from working in the legal field, but when I hear people gripe about legal fees, I just have to think they have no clue as to how well spent that money is.

I guess I'd better go!
Good coffee and a great day to you and yours!

No comments: