Saturday, May 26, 2007

Long Weekend....



It was a long week at our household, so I am presenting a picture of my rose bush at the side of the house. Yes, it is coming with us when we move--I just haven't figured out how we are going to move it with as little bloodshed as possible. That thing has serious thorns!!!!

On Wednesday, the boys called me at work and told me Charlie aka. "the $400 stray cat" was sitting in the floor, meowing if you tried to move him. I came home at 5 and he was lethargic. Hubby and I decided we would wait until morning to see if maybe it was something he ate. By 1 a.m, it was obvious something was wrong. At 7:30 am hubby bundled him up and took him to the vet. His kidneys had shut down. The vet hooked him up to an iv and did blood work. On Friday I stopped in before going to work. Charlie was completely unresponsive. I cried--it did make me feel better that he acted a little more responsive after I nuzzled him a bit, but I was so unsure. How do you decided whether to keep going or whether they are in pain? The vet couldn't tell us whether he would get out of the woods....I certainly didn't want to be selfish and keep him alive if he were in pain and not going to be better. The vet called Hubby at work and said his blood work was way off the toxic end of the chart....I stopped back by after work and he purred when I nuzzled him, so I was feeling hopeful. This morning the vet said he'd seen improvement and just got the second set of blood tests back...they are much improved but he is not out of the woods. He was much more responsive today, which really gives me hope....There will be more blood tests on Tuesday....All told, if we get him through this, Charlie will now be know as the $1,000++ stray....but worth every penny....


On the lighter side, we are preparing to move next week. I am really looking forward to it. It will be wonderful to have so much more room (over 1,000 square feet more than what we have now). However, boxes are starting to pile up and make a small space even smaller! I know cute man wants it ALL packed by moving day, but the reality is that we might still have a portion unpacked on moving day. Luckily we are only moving a couple blocks away, but once all the furniture has been moved, it should be much easier to get to everything! I have realized that I apparently really love community cookbooks---I have a ton of them! Along with every other kind of cookbook known to man! Once we get to the new house, I will take one cookbook and cook a complete meal (appetizer to dessert) from it for 2 weeks, then move onto the next. Almost all of these cookbooks have some really good recipes for what we call congealed salads...otherwise know as jello salads. I love jello salads. Probably from the time spent growing up in the South, but they are a mainstay in my memory of church suppers when we attended church in the South....I love them! When I attended a friend's family reunion almost 5 years ago, one of the members prepared something called "pink stuff"---it was delicious. I got the recipe and promptly lost it....I have been searching for it and may resort to calling my friend and begging her to contact the cousin to get me the recipe again. I will have to share recipes as they are tested. If you haven't had a jello fruit salad, you have soooooo been deprived. I will assist you in seeing the light!

No comments: